Welcome, Blogophiles!


Welcome, Blogophiles!

Or is that Bloginators, or Blogostines? And why am I doing this?
Heck if I know. But, I'm an artist of sorts, and LOTS of artists have their own Blogs, so why not me? I get to talk about myself and show some of my occasional (and I do mean Occasional) train art. I'm also gigging regularly with a great tribute band called Close to You, which covers the Carpenters. Thanks for visiting, fellow Blogians!

Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Ugly Drumlings (sic)

When it comes to drums, I have found out that older can be better. It just took a bit of time for me to realize this.

I still have my original set of Ludwig drums built in 1970. These drums had been sitting in basements and for the last 15 years, in my garage, gathering dust, getting rusty and looking Ugly. Much of the original hardware was in pretty bad shape, my cymbals were cracked and the heads sounded awful. Since I hadn't played in any bands while the kids were young, they were downright neglected.

My 1970 Ludwigs at Harlow's Nightclub in Sacramento.

When I joined an online forum for drummers (aptly named DrumForum), I started reading about how coveted these old Ludwigs were. Ludwig built these drums with maple shells in a way that gave them a sound that's been used in thousands of recordings through the years. Drummers like Ringo and Zeppelin's John Bonham, not to mention the most recorded studio drummer of all time, Hal Blaine (Carpenters, Elvis, The Beach Boys, The Monkees, The Byrds and a lot more) used the exact same drums that were sitting neglected in my garage.

When I joined the band Close to You, I knew I had to get these drums back in shape. They were, after all, the same drums used by Karen Carpenter, too. (Hers were silver sparkle; mine are blue).

It took about a month, but my ole Luddies are back in playing shape, Ugly Drumlings no more. I played my first gig with them in about 20 years last December. They sounded fantastic! I think they look great, too, but I'll let you be the judge of that.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Dad, that's awesome! I didn't know that Karen Carpenter had the same drums as you! They do look good, and they sounded great at the gig on Sunday! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment away! Nice comments will be revered; not so nice comments may end up lining the parakeet cage.