Welcome, Blogophiles!


Welcome, Blogophiles!

Or is that Bloginators, or Blogostines? And why am I doing this?
Heck if I know. But, I'm an artist of sorts, and LOTS of artists have their own Blogs, so why not me? I get to talk about myself and show some of my occasional (and I do mean Occasional) train art. I'm also gigging regularly with a great tribute band called Close to You, which covers the Carpenters. Thanks for visiting, fellow Blogians!

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Oh, Canada! Close to You goes international


The band on stage in Laguna Hills, CA
Close to You, the Carpenters tribute band I perform with was contracted a few months ago to play 3 shows in Brockville, Canada at the Brockville Arts Centre. The dates are July 18 with a matinee and evening performance on the 19th. The Arts Centre is flying us in, paying for the hotel and feeding us the whole time we're there. This is just the coolest thing I've ever done with a band! It almost feels like we're Pro-fessional

The Brockville Arts Centre is located right in Brockville, about 17 miles SW of Ottawa, in the heart of the “Thousand Islands” area on the St. Lawrence River. The newly renovated theater seats over 700 people, and has a great stage, sound system and lighting. 

Here's a link to some pics of the Arts Centre. Brockville Arts Centre photos

Attending the performance will be my lovely wife Lisa and my brother Bruce and his wife,  Nancy. I don't believe Bruce and Nancy have seen me play for over 30 years, so it will be  fun to have them in attendance.

Musser Pro Vibes

This will also be my debut with the band on vibes (for the classic Leon Russell song and Carpenters cover of “This Masquerade”). The version of “Masquerade” I'm most familiar with is guitarist/vocalist George Benson's excellent version from the 70s. That song has some great chord changes to solo through, and the whole band gets a chance to “stretch out”, so it should be fun.


I'd be remiss if I didn't include the Band's website. Close to You audio clips
You can play a sample of the music and watch a video of the group (before my time) playing live on Good Day Sacramento (at 6:30 in the morning, I might add!)

Other Canadian promoters have already shown interest and have contacted us, so if we do a good job in Brockville, there may be other contracts in the offing in Eastern Canada. Not too bad for a bunch of hosers from California, eh?


1 comment:

  1. I think the Carpenter's music is beautifully melodic and pleasant to listen to. Close to You does a great job putting on a show in addition to playing the music well. You deserve your standing ovations.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment away! Nice comments will be revered; not so nice comments may end up lining the parakeet cage.